Burlington, VT is known for its picturesque Lake Champlain waterfront, thriving local food scene, and bustling downtown area. But beyond the usual tourist hotspots, there are plenty of hidden gems in this charming New England city that are worth exploring. Here are ten places you won’t want to miss on your next trip to Burlington.
1. The Bern Gallery: This unique art gallery specializes in contemporary glass art, showcasing work from local and international glassblowers. Visitors can watch live glassblowing demonstrations and even take workshops to learn the craft themselves.
2. Shelburne Farms: Just a short drive from Burlington, Shelburne Farms is a historic working farm and National Historic Landmark. Visitors can take a tour of the property, enjoy a farm-to-table meal at the on-site restaurant, or even stay overnight in one of the farm’s cozy guest rooms.
3. The Intervale Center: This 350-acre nature preserve offers miles of hiking and biking trails, as well as opportunities for fishing, birdwatching, and even cross-country skiing in the winter. The center also hosts a weekly farmers’ market and offers educational programs for visitors of all ages.
4. The Fletcher Free Library: This charming public library is housed in a historic building in downtown Burlington and offers a wealth of resources for visitors and locals alike. In addition to its extensive book collection, the library hosts regular events and workshops on a variety of topics.
5. The Green Mountain Audubon Center: This nature sanctuary offers guided birdwatching tours, as well as hiking trails and educational programs on topics such as conservation and ecology. Visitors can also enjoy stunning views of the surrounding mountains and Lake Champlain.
6. The Ethan Allen Homestead: This historic site is the former home of American Revolutionary War hero Ethan Allen. Visitors can tour the home and learn about Allen’s life and legacy, as well as explore the surrounding gardens and hiking trails.
7. The Vermont Comedy Club: This intimate comedy club hosts regular shows featuring both local and…